Most of a students’ day is beyond their control; their course load, their teachers, and even their daily routine are likely decided for them. We know that choice is a key factor in keeping students engaged with their learning, and that the greatest moment of impact occurs when they choose to take control. Whether a student is looking to improve their academic performance, hone organizational skills, or navigate learning disorders, our Executive Function coaches are there to help them address these changes and every accompanying challenge. From elementary school to college and beyond, we meet our students where they are on their journey, working alongside them to bring consistency to the uncertainties of everyday life. We help them to anticipate roadblocks, overcome hurdles, and build confidence in themselves and their potential.
Our research-based methodology is rooted in the belief that all students are capable of achieving their own unique version of success. We know that behavior isn’t black and white and that our struggles are not linear, and recognize that true change requires far more than a one-size-fits-all approach. Our goal is to help our students understand who they are as learners, and to make decisions and develop structures designed to suit their individual strengths and challenges. We develop customized plans appropriately tailored for where each student is and where they wish to go.
All of our engagements begin with just one agenda item; to get to know who a student is and who they want to be. From there, they are intentionally paired with a coach who will be best suited to help them achieve their goals while also serving as an ally, mentor, and educator. We listen more than we talk, collaborate rather than control, and ensure that our students have a say in the strategies used to overcome challenges for a lasting impact. All that we ask is that they commit to themselves while we commit to them. Their success is the only measure of our success, and forming a foundation of trust with an authentic connection is our number one priority.
Finding meaningful change is a process, not a single event, and like anything that needs improvement, there are no shortcuts that will get you there. Building good habits involves repetition, effort, and time, but in the absence of speed is sustainability. We don’t believe in quick fixes; we help our students to recognize the need for change, build the path to get there, and establish new habits that will last a lifetime. We work with them to uncover their individual motivators, develop strategies for success, and ensure that they are equipped with a toolkit for the world beyond academics. If we’ve done our job correctly, they’ll be empowered and ready to face future challenges independently.
Founded by Michael Delman (Brown University, B.A., Lesley University, Masters in Education), Beyond BookSmart is an Executive Function coaching company that serves elementary, middle school, high school, and college students as well as adults worldwide, through 1:1 online coaching.
Michael Delman, CEO of Beyond BookSmart, is a Massachusetts Distinguished Educator, as well as the founder and former principal of the Christa McAuliffe Charter School. He established Beyond BookSmart based on his experience working with students struggling to manage themselves. Michael witnessed a growing number of students at increasingly younger ages diagnosed with ADHD and other Executive Function-related challenges. He knew that the key to helping students and adults thrive is through teaching them specific skills to effectively manage their work demands and their personal lives. Michael also published his first book, aimed at helping parents teach their children Executive Function skills, in June 2018, which has earned critical acclaim.
Over the past 17 years, Michael's team of experienced educators and clinicians has developed a system for coaching students and adults that is unrivaled. With over 375 tools and strategies that can be customized for each student’s needs, the coaches at Beyond BookSmart are equipped for almost any challenge a student encounters. Our coaches engage in Beyond BookSmart’s ongoing professional development activities to continually refresh and expand their coaching resources. During regular supervision meetings, coaches collaborate and learn from each other to further refine their coaching skills. Beyond BookSmart has also pioneered online coaching methodology, which enables us to reach across the globe to help students be more effective learners.
Finally, because we know it takes more than just a good tool or strategy to help students transform their habits, our coaches are experts in the psychological aspects of behavior change. Michael Delman's research team was the first to apply and adapt a proven method of facilitating change, the Transtheoretical Model of Change developed by Dr. James Prochaska. Through the pioneering work of Michael and his team, the coaches at Beyond BookSmart have hundreds of approaches at their fingertips specifically developed to help students and adults make lasting and significant changes in the way they work and how they manage other aspects of their lives. We’ve invested thousands of hours in research and development since 2006 to develop the only comprehensive Executive Function coaching program of its kind. We are proud to be the recognized experts in teaching Executive Function skills.
1. Executive Function Fandom: Beyond BookSmart employees are true ambassadors of Executive Function coaching because we live the mission and see that stronger EF skills transform lives. We understand that improved Executive Function skills mean greater success and enjoyment in life.
2. Commitment to Customer: Beyond BookSmart was created to help people solve seemingly impossible problems. We listen first and act second. Our commitment to our customers goes beyond following procedures to honoring their time and treating customers with respect, courtesy, and professionalism.
3. Openness: At Beyond BookSmart, we bring an attitude of curiosity to our work. We stay open to new ideas, feedback, and perspectives, recognizing that growth is only possible from questioning our current thinking and ways of doing things. Regardless of our roles, we reflect on our practices and remain humble because it makes us better colleagues, better at doing our jobs, and fosters a more inclusive environment.
4. Kindness: At Beyond BookSmart, we show kindness and respect to ourselves and others, not compromising one for the other. We genuinely care about our impact on our colleagues and customers.
5. Integrity: At Beyond BookSmart, we say what we mean and mean what we say. We commit to being trustworthy and fair. We acknowledge when we fail to live up to our own or the Company’s values and commit to making the necessary changes, even if those changes are difficult.
6. Courage: At Beyond BookSmart, we recognize that growth requires courage. When facing new challenges, we strive to model confidence, fortitude, and enthusiasm. We also recognize that courage includes the willingness to seek support when needed.
Michael Delman’s book “Your Kid’s Gonna Be Okay: Building the Executive Function Skills Your Child Needs in the Age of Attention” provides parents with enlightening tips and tools from a lifelong educator and expert in Executive Function intervention -- and the reassurance that your kids will be okay when equipped with the skills they need.
See positive changes in their children due to coaching
See a reduction in “homework battles” or stress
See progress in their children (or themselves), due to coaching
See improvements in grades
Would recommend Beyond BookSmart to other parents